Most Active Stories
- Start It Up Episode 28: Dynepic and Artiphon Shine at 36/86 Conference
- Cleveland Museum Exhibit Explores African & Native American History
- 'It's Like Having A Crazy Family Member': On Southern Black Folks And The Rebel Flag
- Best Job Ever - Deli Owner
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Amputee Ran in 5 Marathons After Loss of Leg
Jack Richmond did not let the loss of one leg keep him from racing and now he motivates other amputees to embrace the technology that will help them run again.
After the loss of his leg in a forklift accident the former bicycle racer learned to run and eventually participated in 5 marathons with the use of a tension spring based prosthetic leg. The bombs at the Boston Marathon this past spring touched him deeply because Richmond completed the Boston Marathon a few years ago and finished about the same time as the bombs went off. Richmond recalled his hopes that the runners who lost their legs would recover and run in marathons again. The technology and advancement in prosthetic devices encourages active sports for the amputee.
Jack Richmond often visits people in the hospital who have just lost a limb. The Amputee Coalition pairs recent amputees with people like Richmond that have adjusted to life without a limb and can provide hope along with a network of resources to assist with the transition.