Most Active Stories
- Actor Theodore Bikel Dies At Age 91
- 'Mockingbird Next Door' Gives a Rare Glimpse into Harper Lee's Life
- Chattanooga: A 'Great City With a Broken Heart' After Marines Murdered
- Gunman's Motivation Unclear After Shootings At Tennessee Military Sites
- Start It Up Episode 31: Robyn Carlton Focuses Lookout Mountain Conservancy on Community
Apple Sold 37 Million iPhones Last Quarter, 7 Million More Than Expected
Originally published on Tue January 24, 2012 5:22 pm
Apple's just-released financial results for the quarter ended Dec. 31 have some eye-popping numbers:
-- "Record quarterly net profit of $13.1 billion," double the $6 billion of the same quarter a year earlier.
-- 37.04 million iPhones sold; 7 million more than analysts expected, according to CNET News. The company unveiled its iPhone 4S in mid-October.
-- 15.43 million iPads sold; up 111 percent from the same quarter a year earlier.
As The Associated Press puts it, "after uncharacteristically tepid sales in the July-to-September quarter, Apple came back with a vengeance in last three months of 2011, vastly exceeding analyst estimates and setting new records."