Most Active Stories
- To Clean a Skull: Beetles, Bones, and Business
- Harping In Harmony: Beverly Inman-Ebel Previews Free CHE Concerts
- Start It Up Ep 10: Why a Good Bookkeeper Matters and Chattanooga's Filmmaking Community is on Fire
- Douglas Tallamy: Why Home Gardening 'Transcends the Needs of the Gardener'
- 'The Future West' Film Team Seeks Crowdfunding for Sequel
Author Sam McLeod visits Chattanooga
By Rabbit Zielke
Chattanooga, TN – Sam McLeod grew up in Nashville, Tennessee and never forgot his southern roots and the food tied to those memories. On a road trip from his current home in Walla Walla Washington for a reunion to his old neighborhood, Sam revisits his childhood and shares those memories in his newest book "Big Appetite My Southern-Fried Search for the Meaning of Life."
The book is filled with memories of real people that form the unforgettable characters of Sam's youth. There are also very real recipes of the foods that were tied to events. You can recreate the best meatloaf or journey into the unknown making macaroni cheese with oysters, cook some chicken and dumplings or make a party platter of Coco's Pickled Shrimp. All of these recipes and more are sprinkled into the book.
After you read the book, you can try your hand at song writing and come up with the best Waffle House Big Appetite song. The winner will receive prizes and have a chance to be professionally recorded and heard on jukeboxes in every Waffle House restaurant across the country.
Sam McLeod is at Rock Point Books in Chattanooga for a book signing on Monday, June 14th at 6:00 pm.