Most Active Stories
- Janisse Ray’s ‘The Seed Underground’ Explains Startling Loss of Seed Diversity
- Velo Coffee Turns to Kickstarter to Fund New Roaster
- States That Raised Minimum Wage See Faster Job Growth, Report Says
- Supernatural Suspense for Young Shapeshifters in 'Island of Fog' Series
- VW Chattanooga Not Only Gets New SUV; Also Gets New Research Center
Wayne White's Whimsy
'Beauty Is Embarrassing' Star Drops By WUTC
The documentary Beauty Is Embarrassing tells Wayne White's story. White, who grew up in Hixson in the 1970's, longed to leave Chattanooga and become an artist. After college, he moved to New York City and wound up as an Emmy-winning set designer and puppeteer on Pee-Wee's Playhouse. He also was the art director for Peter Gabriel's Big Time music video.
In this extended interview, White talks to WUTC's Richard Winham and Garrett Crowe about the "Pee-Wee generation" and the lasting impact of his art. The documentary will be screened at Chattanooga's Wynnsong 10 theater from Oct 12th - 18th. White will talk to fans after the 6:50 p.m. screenings on Saturday and Sunday.