Most Active Stories
- Listen: CDE's Mary Poppins - The Musical
- NPR's Steve Inskeep Seeks Chattanooga, North GA Photos for 'Jacksonland' Site
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
- Mental Health Awareness Month: At The AIM Center, People Are Members, Not Clients
- South Carolina Distiller Promises To Make Kentucky Liquor Quicker
A Vein Attempt No More
Blood Assurance Turns 40, But Transfusions Have Longer, Stranger Past
Blood Assurance opened in the early 1970s by providing blood for four hospitals in Chattanooga. Now it serves more than 50 healthcare facilities.
The first-ever blood donation involved a pope, three gold coins, and an unusual method for transfusion. Let's just say blood transfusions have come a long way, too.
In honor of Blood Assurance's 40th birthday, we look back at the history of blood donation in Chattanooga, and the long, storied past of blood donation itself.