Most Active Stories
- Velo Coffee Turns to Kickstarter to Fund New Roaster
- States That Raised Minimum Wage See Faster Job Growth, Report Says
- Janisse Ray’s ‘The Seed Underground’ Explains Startling Loss of Seed Diversity
- Supernatural Suspense for Young Shapeshifters in 'Island of Fog' Series
- Signal Mountain Playhouse Presents 'The King and I' Throughout July
A Vein Attempt No More
Blood Assurance Turns 40, But Transfusions Have Longer, Stranger Past
Blood Assurance opened in the early 1970s by providing blood for four hospitals in Chattanooga. Now it serves more than 50 healthcare facilities.
The first-ever blood donation involved a pope, three gold coins, and an unusual method for transfusion. Let's just say blood transfusions have come a long way, too.
In honor of Blood Assurance's 40th birthday, we look back at the history of blood donation in Chattanooga, and the long, storied past of blood donation itself.