Most Active Stories
- In A Band? The Chattanooga Music Database Seeks Info
- Handmade Goods That Help African Refugees: Amani Chattanooga Distributes Fair-Trade Items
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
- St. Elmo Holiday Hop Features Food, Art, Open Houses & More 12/14
- Tennessee State Rep. Eric Watson, Others Discuss Pros And Cons Of Arming Teachers
A Vein Attempt No More
Blood Assurance Turns 40, But Transfusions Have Longer, Stranger Past
Blood Assurance opened in the early 1970s by providing blood for four hospitals in Chattanooga. Now it serves more than 50 healthcare facilities.
The first-ever blood donation involved a pope, three gold coins, and an unusual method for transfusion. Let's just say blood transfusions have come a long way, too.
In honor of Blood Assurance's 40th birthday, we look back at the history of blood donation in Chattanooga, and the long, storied past of blood donation itself.