Most Active Stories
- Start It Up Episode 28: Dynepic and Artiphon Shine at 36/86 Conference
- Cleveland Museum Exhibit Explores African & Native American History
- 'It's Like Having A Crazy Family Member': On Southern Black Folks And The Rebel Flag
- Best Job Ever - Deli Owner
- So Lit Book Club discusses 'Bringing It to the Table' by Wendell Berry
Originally published on Wed August 8, 2012 2:39 pm
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
NPR's business news starts with your happiness.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
MONTAGNE: That's the indicator Fed Chief Ben Bernanke wants to see. Bernanke told a conference of economists last night that despite data pointing to a recovery, many people still feel stressed. He said the economic well-being of Americans is the Fed's ultimate objective - that is, the sense that things are going well.
It's not a new idea. The tiny Asian nation of Bhutan tracks national happiness instead of gross national product. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright National Public Radio.