Most Active Stories
- North Korea Claims Missile Launch From Submerged Submarine
- They Speak Hebrew And Keep Kosher: The Left-Behind Ethiopian Jews
- Anna Carll Hopes Her Paintings 'Punch You in the Face'
- UTC Student Robert Fisher is the University's Third Rhodes Scholar
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Canada Aims To Take North Pole Into Its Nautical Borders
Originally published on Tue December 10, 2013 12:11 pm
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. Canada has a wish list this year and Santa might not be pleased. It includes the North Pole. Canada announced this week that it's preparing to ask the U.N. to extend its nautical borders farther into the Arctic - far enough to include the Pole. Along with Santa's workshop, the North Pole is home to vast deposits of oil and gas. Canada says it's checking its research twice so it won't actually be laying claim to the Pole until after Christmas. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.