Most Active Stories
- In A Band? The Chattanooga Music Database Seeks Info
- Handmade Goods That Help African Refugees: Amani Chattanooga Distributes Fair-Trade Items
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
- St. Elmo Holiday Hop Features Food, Art, Open Houses & More 12/14
- Tennessee State Rep. Eric Watson, Others Discuss Pros And Cons Of Arming Teachers
Around the Nation
Canadian Woman Picks Marriage Proposal Over Jail Time
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm David Greene.
Marcia Belyea was on a drive with her boyfriend when she heard a police siren. The Canadian woman was pulled over and told she owed $2,000 in parking tickets and faced 30 days in jail. As she wept in the police car, Belyea was offered a deal. Charges would be dropped if she took her boyfriend's hand in marriage.
Yes, this traumatic event was an elaborate wedding proposal. Believe it or not, she said yes. But Marcia, you have the right to revenge.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.