Most Active Stories
- Man, Dog Reunited 9 Days After Tornado Flattened Ill. Town
- Handmade Goods That Help African Refugees: Amani Chattanooga Distributes Fair-Trade Items
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
- Why Some East Tennesseans Drink Raw Milk
- Filmmaker Daniel Griffith Celebrates Mystery Science Theater 3000 in New Documentary
Could 'Taxmageddon' Crisis Create Compromise?
Originally published on Sat June 9, 2012 6:35 pm
On Jan. 1, trillions of dollars in spending cuts and tax increases — called Taxmageddon — will take effect unless Congress and the White House can agree on a new plan. Many economists say the country will fall back into a recession if it happens. Former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin says Congress may actually be "forced to make a decision that affects taxes and spending."