Most Active Stories
- Man, Dog Reunited 9 Days After Tornado Flattened Ill. Town
- Handmade Goods That Help African Refugees: Amani Chattanooga Distributes Fair-Trade Items
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
- Filmmaker Daniel Griffith Celebrates Mystery Science Theater 3000 in New Documentary
- Why Some East Tennesseans Drink Raw Milk
'Cubicle Guy' Pops Up: Weiner News Conference Made Him A Star
Originally published on Wed July 24, 2013 12:32 pm
As New York City mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner was admitting Tuesday that he continued to "sext" after his 2011 resignation from Congress, social media sites were abuzz about the "cubicle guy" whose head kept popping up behind the Democratic politician.
"Who is the white haired guy in the background acting like the neighbor from Home Improvement peeking over the cubicle? lol," "Miss B" wondered on Twitter.
Minneapolis radio station WCCO knew just who it was: Jeff McKinney, a former reporter and anchor at the station. He's now with New York City's WOR radio.
In fact, it was WCCO's Adam Carter who "cubicle guy" can be seen waving to at one point.
After his brush with Web fame, McKinney told Carter that:
"Cubicle guy had no idea that he was cubicle guy. Cubicle Guy was just there. He was taking notes. He was standing behind Anthony Weiner, because that was the only available spot to him. Because Cubicle Guy was late getting to the news conference — not, as it turned out, as late as Anthony Weiner. ... That was the only place I could stand."
Politico has put together a brilliant, jazzy video tribute to Cubicle Guy.
(H/T to NPR.org's Erica Ryan.)