Most Active Stories
- Celebration of Southern Literature: Jill McCorkle on 'Life After Life' And Death
- WTCI's 'Underground Revealed' Debuts
- Celebration of Southern Literature: A Chat with 'The Joker' Himself, Andrew Hudgins
- In Rural Virginia, Truckers Can Stop For Coffee And A Physical
- Start It Up Episode 19: Program Propels Young Businesses to Next Level
Alternate Transportation Day
A Different Ride
Challenging students and teachers at Ivy Academy to find alternate transportation to school on Earth Day meant bringing out the bicycles or walking to school.
Ivy Academy is known for a hands on approach to education and focus on environment. For one day everyone at the school found an alternative mode of transportation. For some that meant walking to the school and others enjoyed bicycling the distance. There were car pools and some of the teachers rode the school bus instead of driving. They may repeat this exercise more often than just once annually but for this one day everyone at Ivy Academy was thinking about the environmental impact of their daily commute.