Most Active Stories
- Start It Up Episode 28: Dynepic and Artiphon Shine at 36/86 Conference
- Cleveland Museum Exhibit Explores African & Native American History
- 'It's Like Having A Crazy Family Member': On Southern Black Folks And The Rebel Flag
- Best Job Ever - Deli Owner
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Duke Will Be 'Crowned' For Foreseeable Future
LINDA WERTHEIMER, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Linda Wertheimer.
Crowning the Duke of Wellington with a traffic cone is a tradition in Glasgow. Frustrated officials wanted to raise the 1844 statue to a height that could keep the cones off the duke's head. Removing them costs the city 160 bucks a time. But the effort to elevate the duke was stopped by a petition. Apparently to Glaswegians, Waterloo was not the duke's last crowning achievement.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.