Most Active Stories
- Janisse Ray’s ‘The Seed Underground’ Explains Startling Loss of Seed Diversity
- Velo Coffee Turns to Kickstarter to Fund New Roaster
- States That Raised Minimum Wage See Faster Job Growth, Report Says
- Book News: A 'Treasure' Of Thrilling Westerns from Tim Champlin
- Supernatural Suspense for Young Shapeshifters in 'Island of Fog' Series
Europe Lacks Structures To Make Euro Work Properly, Merkel Says
Europe does not now have the "political structures" to make the euro work properly, German Chancellor Angela Merkel told world leaders today.
At the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, The Associated Press reports, "she said the weaknesses 'arose over years — so they can't be overcome at one fell swoop.' "
But, Merkel added, "we are determined to do this."
The German leader "did not immediately elaborate on how that would happen," the AP adds. Bloomberg News reports she also said European governments are determined to get their budgets and debts under control.
Her appearance is being streamed here.