Most Active Stories
- Start It Up Episode 28: Dynepic and Artiphon Shine at 36/86 Conference
- Cleveland Museum Exhibit Explores African & Native American History
- 'It's Like Having A Crazy Family Member': On Southern Black Folks And The Rebel Flag
- Best Job Ever - Deli Owner
- Listening to the Lake Sturgeon in the Tennessee River
Free Lunch for Tuesday, Feb. 25
By Sean Phipps
Chattanooga, TN – Tuesday's free lunch feature renowned mandolin player, Matt Flinner, and his new album "Walking on the Moon," with the Matt Flinner quartet.
For years, Matt Flinner has been gathering a reputation as one of the world's most inventive and original mandolin players. His style is indicative of early jazz/rock fusion and even delves into the land of funk.
Flinner's new album, Walking on the Moon, showcases his diverse musicality in true form. Along with guitarist, Gawainn Mathews, of the Tony Furtado band, electric-bassist, Same Bevan, and drummer Aaron Marshall, the "Matt Flinner Quartet" takes bluegrass and throws it into a proverbial blender.
There is definitely some beautiful music on "Walking on the Moon," especially several cover songs including, Caravan/Cissy Strut, a medley of the Ellington/Tizol "caravan" and "cissy strut" by Neville/Nocentelli/Porter.
For more information on Matt Flinner albums, www.compassrecords.com