Most Active Stories
- Start It Up Episode 28: Dynepic and Artiphon Shine at 36/86 Conference
- Cleveland Museum Exhibit Explores African & Native American History
- 'It's Like Having A Crazy Family Member': On Southern Black Folks And The Rebel Flag
- Best Job Ever - Deli Owner
- Listening to the Lake Sturgeon in the Tennessee River
Free Lunch for Tuesday, June 10
By Sean Phipps
Chattanooga – Andrew Bird, a former member of Squirrel Nut Zippers, has proven himself a worthy solo artist with his most recent album on Grimsey records.
A noted violinist, Bird decided to part with the popular indie label, RYKO, in an attempt to explore his musical landscape.
Weather Systems couples Bird's melodic violin compositions with insightfull lyricism.
Throw in the voice of Nora' O' Conner, a long time friend and musical partner, and the album takes flight.
Using the violin as a primary tool, Bird composes extravagant string compositions that are both odd and beautiful.
Recently, the album has been reprinted on the Righteous Babe record label, made famous by edgy singer/songwriter Ani Difranco. The re-release of Weather Systems will be widely available on Tuesday, June 10th.
Andrew Bird often makes appearances in Chattanooga, playing occasionally at Rhythm and Brews and in Coolidge Park.
Weather Systems is an album designed to be listened to in one sitting, as whole. Thus, NPR/music 88 will broadcast the album in its entirety at noon.
More information on Andrew Bird and all and his music is available at www.bowloffire.com