Most Active Stories
- Listen: CDE's Mary Poppins - The Musical
- NPR's Steve Inskeep Seeks Chattanooga, North GA Photos for 'Jacksonland' Site
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
- Mental Health Awareness Month: At The AIM Center, People Are Members, Not Clients
- South Carolina Distiller Promises To Make Kentucky Liquor Quicker
'Give City' Community Blood Drive Happening June 20
From a media release:
Help Blood Assurance turn Chattanooga in to “Give City” on June 20. Places you can donate during Give City are:
- Hamilton Place Mall - inside at Center Stage
- Memorial Family Medical - Ooltewah
- Warehouse Row – Downtown Chattanooga
- Chick-fil-a – Highway 153
- Blood Assurance – 705 E. 4th Street
- Blood Assurance - Hixson
- Blood Assurance – Gunbarrel Road
To sign up, text "givecity" to 72727.
Blood Assurance is a regional non-profit blood center based in Chattanooga, Tennessee that serves 47 counties in a 5 state region, and is the sole provider of blood and blood components for over 70 healthcare facilities.
During the summer holidays, because more people are traveling through our area, more accidents are happening, plus it is boating and swim season. Increased accidents means the need for blood rises. When a typical automobile or boating accident occurs, the victim, if he or she needs blood, can use more than 50 units. Unfortunately, blood donations decrease during the summer months and around holidays, mainly because high schools are out, and people are vacationing away from home. Sixteen percent of Blood Assurance donors are high school students. Adding to the decrease, extreme temperatures prevent many of our partners in the manufacturing business from hosting blood drives during the summer. Please help us save lives by donating at “Give City.”
To be eligible to donate blood, you must be at least 17 years old (16 years old with parental consent), weigh 110 pounds or more and be in good health. The process usually takes about 30 minutes and includes a complimentary snack and t-shirt. Donors are asked to drink plenty of fluids - avoiding caffeine - and eat a meal that is rich in iron prior to donating.
For more information about donating blood, please call Blood Assurance at 1-800-962-0628 or go to www.BloodAssurance.org.