Most Active Stories
- In A Band? The Chattanooga Music Database Seeks Info
- CSAS Tops the List of Chattanooga's Grade Schools in 2013 Report
- Handmade Goods That Help African Refugees: Amani Chattanooga Distributes Fair-Trade Items
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
- St. Elmo Holiday Hop Features Food, Art, Open Houses & More 12/14
Predator Or Prey?
'Great White Shark 3D' Coming to Tennessee Aquarium IMAX
The Great White Shark may be one of the most misunderstood animals of all time.
The movies portray this animal as a crazed beast intent on killing humans. Shark attacks at beaches are often ascribed to Great White Sharks. They are an apex predator but humans are not their preferred prey and often, if they do bite a person it is because they thought they were getting a seal. There is much about these huge animals that is not known and research is ongoing to learn more before they disappear like so many of their ocean dwelling neighbors. Underwater film makers traveled to several known locations to find the Great White Shark to bring the cameras up close and get a personal look. At the same time researchers were tagging these great animals to monitor the migratory patterns and attempt to learn more of this population.