Most Active Stories
- Listen: CDE's Mary Poppins - The Musical
- NPR's Steve Inskeep Seeks Chattanooga, North GA Photos for 'Jacksonland' Site
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
- Mental Health Awareness Month: At The AIM Center, People Are Members, Not Clients
- South Carolina Distiller Promises To Make Kentucky Liquor Quicker
From the Gridiron... to the Garden
By Michael Edward Miller
Michael Edward Miller
Chattanooga, TN – If you're a college football fan, you know Vince Dooley's name. He was the University of Georgia's head football coach for nearly 25 years. He led the Bulldogs to six SEC championships, one national championship, and he's in the College Football Hall of Fame.
He retired in 1988. These days, he's become an avid gardener. It's not just a hobby for him, either the former SEC coach of the year has become a master gardener. A few months ago, he even published an illustrated book called, Vince Dooley's Garden: A Horticultural Journey of a Football Coach.
I met Dooley in Chattanooga at the Fischer Evans jewelry store. He was there signing copies of his book. I asked him, first, about the book's title: exactly what is the "Horticultural Journey of a Football Coach"?