Most Active Stories
- Successful Entrepreneur Paul Cummings & Foundation Leader Cordell Carter Team Up to Launch TechTown
- City of Chattanooga Designates 140-Acre Downtown Area as 'Innovation District'
- Pentagon's Money-Saver: U.S. Troops To Leave 15 European Sites
- Start It Up Ep 10: Why a Good Bookkeeper Matters and Chattanooga's Filmmaking Community is on Fire
- Douglas Tallamy: Why Home Gardening 'Transcends the Needs of the Gardener'
From the Gridiron... to the Garden
By Michael Edward Miller
Michael Edward Miller
Chattanooga, TN – If you're a college football fan, you know Vince Dooley's name. He was the University of Georgia's head football coach for nearly 25 years. He led the Bulldogs to six SEC championships, one national championship, and he's in the College Football Hall of Fame.
He retired in 1988. These days, he's become an avid gardener. It's not just a hobby for him, either the former SEC coach of the year has become a master gardener. A few months ago, he even published an illustrated book called, Vince Dooley's Garden: A Horticultural Journey of a Football Coach.
I met Dooley in Chattanooga at the Fischer Evans jewelry store. He was there signing copies of his book. I asked him, first, about the book's title: exactly what is the "Horticultural Journey of a Football Coach"?