Most Active Stories
- In A Band? The Chattanooga Music Database Seeks Info
- Handmade Goods That Help African Refugees: Amani Chattanooga Distributes Fair-Trade Items
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
- St. Elmo Holiday Hop Features Food, Art, Open Houses & More 12/14
- Tennessee State Rep. Eric Watson, Others Discuss Pros And Cons Of Arming Teachers
From the Gridiron... to the Garden
By Michael Edward Miller
Michael Edward Miller
Chattanooga, TN – If you're a college football fan, you know Vince Dooley's name. He was the University of Georgia's head football coach for nearly 25 years. He led the Bulldogs to six SEC championships, one national championship, and he's in the College Football Hall of Fame.
He retired in 1988. These days, he's become an avid gardener. It's not just a hobby for him, either the former SEC coach of the year has become a master gardener. A few months ago, he even published an illustrated book called, Vince Dooley's Garden: A Horticultural Journey of a Football Coach.
I met Dooley in Chattanooga at the Fischer Evans jewelry store. He was there signing copies of his book. I asked him, first, about the book's title: exactly what is the "Horticultural Journey of a Football Coach"?