Most Active Stories
- CSAS Tops the List of Chattanooga's Grade Schools in 2013 Report
- In A Band? The Chattanooga Music Database Seeks Info
- St. Elmo Holiday Hop Features Food, Art, Open Houses & More 12/14
- Handmade Goods That Help African Refugees: Amani Chattanooga Distributes Fair-Trade Items
- Oxford American Examines The Music of Tennessee
By Rabbit Zielke
Chattanooga, TN – Gaining Ground is a local food movement encouraging consumers to purchase locally grown and raised food. To help them identify local food a new label is available. Harvested Here is a deep green, yellow and white label saying Chattanooga Grown - Within 100 Miles.
Gaining Ground works with farmers and meat producers to complete the paperwork certifying their products are grown or raised within 100 miles of Chattanooga. Once complete, they can add the Harvested Here label to their products. Restaurants are also encouraged to support Harvested Here by purchasing local food and alerting customers when menu items include locally harvested or raised food products. Participation in the Harvested Here program is provided free to participating farmers and merchants.