Most Active Stories
- Celebration of Southern Literature: Jill McCorkle on 'Life After Life' And Death
- WTCI's 'Underground Revealed' Debuts
- Celebration of Southern Literature: A Chat with 'The Joker' Himself, Andrew Hudgins
- In Rural Virginia, Truckers Can Stop For Coffee And A Physical
- Start It Up Episode 19: Program Propels Young Businesses to Next Level
Help Wanted: Polar Bear Spotters
Originally published on Fri May 3, 2013 12:14 pm
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm David Greene with a summer job opportunity - if you're willing to move to the Arctic Circle and if you're not afraid of bears. The Norwegian government is looking for the polar bear spotters. Your job: to warn researchers when bears come in a little too close. A successful candidate should enjoy the outdoors and be competent with firearms. An official said polar bear spotters will not have to fire a gun as long as they have a loud voice to scare off bears. That's reassuring.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.