Most Active Stories
- Start It Up Episode 28: Dynepic and Artiphon Shine at 36/86 Conference
- Cleveland Museum Exhibit Explores African & Native American History
- 'It's Like Having A Crazy Family Member': On Southern Black Folks And The Rebel Flag
- Best Job Ever - Deli Owner
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
In His Own Words: Remembering Poet Robert Hayden
Originally published on Sun August 4, 2013 6:38 pm
Robert Hayden was born in Detroit 100 years ago Sunday. He became the first African-American to receive the honor now known as "poet laureate." Among his most famous works is the collection of short poems called Elegies for Paradise Valley. We hear an excerpt from the collection, as read by the author in 1976.