Most Active Stories
- North Korea Claims Missile Launch From Submerged Submarine
- They Speak Hebrew And Keep Kosher: The Left-Behind Ethiopian Jews
- Anna Carll Hopes Her Paintings 'Punch You in the Face'
- UTC Student Robert Fisher is the University's Third Rhodes Scholar
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
How Many Frequent Flyer Miles Can You Get With A $36M Charge?
Originally published on Mon July 21, 2014 8:30 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep. Last spring, a man bought an ancient Chinese ceramic cup. It was sold by Sotheby's Hong Kong. The price was $36 million. The Chinese collector enjoyed a benefit for paying so much - currency rules prevented him from taking enough cash to Hong Kong. So he paid the $36 million with his American Express card. He received so many AmEx bonus points that he would be entitled to 28 million frequent flyer miles. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.