Most Active Stories
- North Korea Claims Missile Launch From Submerged Submarine
- They Speak Hebrew And Keep Kosher: The Left-Behind Ethiopian Jews
- Anna Carll Hopes Her Paintings 'Punch You in the Face'
- UTC Student Robert Fisher is the University's Third Rhodes Scholar
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Around the Nation
Memorial To Fix Martin Luther King, Jr. Quote
Originally published on Mon January 16, 2012 7:48 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. Americans honor Martin Luther King, Jr. today. And those visiting his new 30-foot tall memorial in Washington, D.C. will find a quote that reads: I was a drum major for justice, peace and righteousness. Well, it may be carved in granite, but it's not actually what the civil rights leader said. Fixing a quote embedded in three feet of stone presents quite a challenge, but it will be changed to more accurately honor Dr. King's memory. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.