Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- Start It Up Ep 10: Why a Good Bookkeeper Matters and Chattanooga's Filmmaking Community is on Fire
- To Clean a Skull: Beetles, Bones, and Business
- Douglas Tallamy: Why Home Gardening 'Transcends the Needs of the Gardener'
- Harping In Harmony: Beverly Inman-Ebel Previews Free CHE Concerts
'Muscle Shoals' Premieres On PBS 4/21
From a media release:
Located alongside the Tennessee River, Muscle Shoals, Alabama is the unlikely breeding ground for some of America’s most creative and defiant music. Under the spiritual influence of the “Singing River,” as Native Americans called it, Muscle Shoals is the birthplace of some of the most important and influential songs of all time, from artists ranging from Lynyrd Skynyrd to Wilson Pickett, the Rolling Stones to Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys to the Civil Wars. At the heart of the Muscle Shoals phenomenon is visionary Rick Hall who founded FAME Studios. Overcoming crushing poverty and staggering tragedies, Hall brought black and white together in Alabama’s cauldron of racial hostility to make music for the generations.
The story of the small town with the big sound, Greg ‘Freddy’ Camalier’s Muscle Shoals premieres on Independent Lens, hosted by Stanley Tucci, on Monday, April 21, 2014, 9:00 - 11:00 PM ET on PBS (check local listings.)