Most Active Stories
- North Korea Claims Missile Launch From Submerged Submarine
- They Speak Hebrew And Keep Kosher: The Left-Behind Ethiopian Jews
- Anna Carll Hopes Her Paintings 'Punch You in the Face'
- UTC Student Robert Fisher is the University's Third Rhodes Scholar
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
'Muscle Shoals' Premieres On PBS 4/21
From a media release:
Located alongside the Tennessee River, Muscle Shoals, Alabama is the unlikely breeding ground for some of America’s most creative and defiant music. Under the spiritual influence of the “Singing River,” as Native Americans called it, Muscle Shoals is the birthplace of some of the most important and influential songs of all time, from artists ranging from Lynyrd Skynyrd to Wilson Pickett, the Rolling Stones to Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys to the Civil Wars. At the heart of the Muscle Shoals phenomenon is visionary Rick Hall who founded FAME Studios. Overcoming crushing poverty and staggering tragedies, Hall brought black and white together in Alabama’s cauldron of racial hostility to make music for the generations.
The story of the small town with the big sound, Greg ‘Freddy’ Camalier’s Muscle Shoals premieres on Independent Lens, hosted by Stanley Tucci, on Monday, April 21, 2014, 9:00 - 11:00 PM ET on PBS (check local listings.)