Most Active Stories
- Non-Verbal & Non-Linear, Jill Burton’s Singing Creates Spontaneous Soundscapes
- Give a meaningful gift through WUTC
- The Civil Air Patrol Places Wreaths at Chattanooga National Cemetery
- The Impressions Are Still Singing, Still Recording in their 80's
- UTC recognized by U.S. News and World Report for work with student veterans
Noted Nonfiction Author Zacharias Makes Fiction Debut with 'Mother of Rain'
Author Karen Spears Zacharias has written for the New York Times and appeared on NPR as a commentator. Mother of Rain, her sixth book and first novel, is Southern literature set in East Tennessee in the 1940s.
It's been described as a "a brilliant gem of a novel... Her remote mountain setting conceals misery, mystery, and madness — but also love, which comes in many forms" (Lee Smith). It's a Fall 2013 Okra Pick, and the story explores how isolation, mental illness and a husband serving overseas during World War II affects a young mother.