Most Active Stories
- Man, Dog Reunited 9 Days After Tornado Flattened Ill. Town
- In A Band? The Chattanooga Music Database Seeks Info
- Handmade Goods That Help African Refugees: Amani Chattanooga Distributes Fair-Trade Items
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
- Compassionate Friends Group Hosts Candlelight Vigil December 8th
Noted Nonfiction Author Zacharias Makes Fiction Debut with 'Mother of Rain'
Author Karen Spears Zacharias has written for the New York Times and appeared on NPR as a commentator. Mother of Rain, her sixth book and first novel, is Southern literature set in East Tennessee in the 1940s.
It's been described as a "a brilliant gem of a novel... Her remote mountain setting conceals misery, mystery, and madness — but also love, which comes in many forms" (Lee Smith). It's a Fall 2013 Okra Pick, and the story explores how isolation, mental illness and a husband serving overseas during World War II affects a young mother.