Most Active Stories
- They Speak Hebrew And Keep Kosher: The Left-Behind Ethiopian Jews
- Celebration of Southern Literature: What Charles Frazier Thinks of 'Cold Mountain' Opera
- Muse of Fire: Ten Original Short Plays Written by Kids, Acted by Adults
- How Candidates Announce Can Say A Lot About Their Campaigns
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Arts & Culture
The Oldest Monster at Haunted Caverns Gets a Mask
One gentleman answered a Monsters Wanted add in the paper in 2004 and became one of the original monsters at the Haunted Caverns. Doug Norwood has been haunting Ruby Falls ever since but something is different for Doug this year. He will be sporting a new ghoulish mask when he entertains people waiting in line to travel into the belly of the mountain and wander into caverns that are only open for the Haunted Caverns this month.
The regular Ruby Falls attraction is open during the day at Ruby Falls but the regular cavern closes a bit early to make room for the monsters and mayhem that takes place every evening in another part of the caverns. The Haunted Caverns opens a portion of the cave system inside Lookout Mountain that is rarely seen by the public. Once you have survived the cavern, a bus will bring you back to the parking lot on the other side of the mountain. The Haunted Caverns opens at 7:30 every Friday, Saturday and Sunday through November 2nd. The caverns will also be open on Halloween night, Thursday October 31st. The last tickets sales of the evening is 11:30 on Friday and Saturday while Sunday evening the last tickets are sold at 10:00 pm.