Most Active Stories
- Successful Entrepreneur Paul Cummings & Foundation Leader Cordell Carter Team Up to Launch TechTown
- City of Chattanooga Designates 140-Acre Downtown Area as 'Innovation District'
- Start It Up Ep 10: Why a Good Bookkeeper Matters and Chattanooga's Filmmaking Community is on Fire
- Pentagon's Money-Saver: U.S. Troops To Leave 15 European Sites
- Douglas Tallamy: Why Home Gardening 'Transcends the Needs of the Gardener'
One Day, World Cup May Be Out Of This World
Originally published on Thu June 12, 2014 7:41 am
DAVID GREENE, BYLINE: Good morning. I'm David Greene. Finally, soccer's World Cup begins today in Brazil. But the head of FIFA, the organization running the tournament, has loftier goals. At a speech yesterday, Sepp Blatter said, quote, "we shall wonder if one day our game is played on other planets." Right, an Intergalactic Cup. Recently, Blatter's been grilled by the media over allegations that Qatar won the rights to host a future World Cup through bribery. Maybe Blatter's hoping the Martian Press Corps is more forgiving. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.