Most Active Stories
- Successful Entrepreneur Paul Cummings & Foundation Leader Cordell Carter Team Up to Launch TechTown
- City of Chattanooga Designates 140-Acre Downtown Area as 'Innovation District'
- Pentagon's Money-Saver: U.S. Troops To Leave 15 European Sites
- Start It Up Ep 10: Why a Good Bookkeeper Matters and Chattanooga's Filmmaking Community is on Fire
- Douglas Tallamy: Why Home Gardening 'Transcends the Needs of the Gardener'
Charity Begins At Home
Origin Story: The Northside Neighborhood House
This is part of our Charity Begins At Home series, where we explore the history behind some of Chattanooga's oldest and most prominent non-profit organizations.
One day during the Great Depression in Chattanooga, Rose Longgley, Emily Page Schlessinger and their friends went for a walk to the North Chattanooga post office, and they saw families in need camped out near the river. That moment sparked nearly ninety years' worth of helping local residents at the Northside Neighborhood House.
They've got a fundraiser, the 20th Annual Ladies' Gold Classic, coming up on Friday, June 1st. Entry forms are due May 28th .