Most Active Stories
- Man, Dog Reunited 9 Days After Tornado Flattened Ill. Town
- In A Band? The Chattanooga Music Database Seeks Info
- Compassionate Friends Group Hosts Candlelight Vigil December 8th
- Handmade Goods That Help African Refugees: Amani Chattanooga Distributes Fair-Trade Items
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
Charity Begins At Home
Origin Story: The Northside Neighborhood House
This is part of our Charity Begins At Home series, where we explore the history behind some of Chattanooga's oldest and most prominent non-profit organizations.
One day during the Great Depression in Chattanooga, Rose Longgley, Emily Page Schlessinger and their friends went for a walk to the North Chattanooga post office, and they saw families in need camped out near the river. That moment sparked nearly ninety years' worth of helping local residents at the Northside Neighborhood House.
They've got a fundraiser, the 20th Annual Ladies' Gold Classic, coming up on Friday, June 1st. Entry forms are due May 28th .