Most Active Stories
- Into The Woods Entertains Audience at Chattanooga Theatre Centre
- Catching A Southern Coyote, Then Letting It Go In The Name Of Science
- FCC Could Allow EPB to Expand Gigabit Internet Service
- Start It Up Episode 16: GPS Goes Mad, Bad, and Dangerous!
- Please Pledge Your Support Today. We’ll Give You Something Extra.
From Memphis to Monteagle
Oxford American Examines The Music of Tennessee
Oxford American just released their annual Southern Music Issue, which focuses on the music of Tennessee.
With Johnny Cash on the cover, there are essays examining historic radio stations in the state, Stax Records, and Chattanooga's own Bessie Smith. Poetry from Jamie Quatro and fiction from Lucy Alibar also appear in the issue.
In this conversation, Roger D. Hodge, editor of Oxford American, discusses the variety of music in Tennessee, Johnny Cash's presence in the issue, and the state's contribution to American music.