Most Active Stories
- What Frank Tavares, the ‘Voice of NPR,’ is Doing Today
- Chattanooga Native Bill Dedman Co-Authors ‘Empty Mansions’ Bestseller
- Local Infant Mortality Rates Decrease, But African-Americans Still Disproportionately Affected
- Ask the Doc: Should I Eat Backwards?
- Kentucky Southern Baptists Draw Crowds With Gun Giveaways
Preserving Engel Stadium
By Rabbit Zielke
Chattanooga, TN – For 80 years, Engel Stadium has been Chattanooga's favorite hometown baseball field. The field was the home of the Chattanooga Lookouts until 1999 and has a rich history of exhibition games and community events spanning back before the great depression. The stadium was added to the National Registry of Historic Places in 2009, but the future was the topic of speculation once the Chattanooga Lookouts moved to their new field.
Hamilton County and the City of Chattanooga are in the process of turning the stadium over to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. UTC has been developing the surrounding land for a track complex and plans to lease the stadium facilities to a nonprofit organization, the Engel Foundation. The stadium needs some major repairs