Most Active Stories
- They Speak Hebrew And Keep Kosher: The Left-Behind Ethiopian Jews
- Celebration of Southern Literature: Jill McCorkle on 'Life After Life' And Death
- WTCI's 'Underground Revealed' Debuts
- Celebration of Southern Literature: What Charles Frazier Thinks of 'Cold Mountain' Opera
- Celebration of Southern Literature: A Chat with 'The Joker' Himself, Andrew Hudgins
Pumpkin Smashing at the Crabtree Farms Fall Festival November 2nd
The inaugural Pumpkin Smash Fall Harvest Festival at Crabtree Farms is Saturday November 2nd from 10:00 am until 8:00 pm.
The festival will have games like potato sack races and BB gun shooting. There will also be tractor rides, a petting zoo, and pie-eating contests. Bluegrass music and down-home BBQ will wrap up the day. Dinner featuring locally-grown and prepared dishes will begin at 5:30 with a bonfire to ward off the chill of the evening. Admission is $2 or free if you bring a nonperishable food item to donate to the Food Bank.
The Pumpkin Smash will feature a trebuchet launching jack-o-lanterns and other gourds across the fields to rest comfortably in the compost field. Participants are encouraged to bring their recently unemployed jack-o-lanterns to add to the fun. Students from Boyd Buchanan competed in a contest building their own medieval siege engines and will bring them to the farm to offer a choice of machines to launch pumpkins far afield.
Crabtree Farms is located at 1000 E. 30th Street a few blocks from Rossville Blvd. Crabtree Farms is an urban farm supporting sustainable agriculture and education programs. Proceeds from the Pumpkin Smash will go towards building child friendly spaces and programs at Crabtree Farms.