Most Active Stories
- Scientists Discover Massive New Magma Chamber Under Yellowstone
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Charity Begins at Home: Chambliss Center's Roots Go Back to 1872
- Miss Chattanooga 2015 Reaches Out to Help Others
- Castle Rock Climbing Site Protected By Conservation Easement
Racetrack Soundtrack Goes From A Roar To A Purr
Originally published on Wed March 19, 2014 10:28 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Renee Montagne.
Fans of Formula One racing love the roar of the engines.
(SOUNDBITE OF ENGINES)
MONTAGNE: But this year's F1 cars are hybrids and that familiar roar has been reduced to a purr.
(SOUNDBITE OF CARS)
MONTAGNE: Australia's Grand Prix organizers are not loving the quiet. They say fans aren't getting what they paid for. One official described the new engines - hmmph, like harpsichords in a chamber orchestra.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.