Most Active Stories
- Non-Verbal & Non-Linear, Jill Burton’s Singing Creates Spontaneous Soundscapes
- Choral Arts of Chattanooga Presents 'Wonderful Peace' Holiday Concert 12/13
- 'A Christmas Story, The Musical' Adds New Depth to Beloved Characters
- Give a meaningful gift through WUTC
- UTC recognized by U.S. News and World Report for work with student veterans
Arts & Culture
Shaggin' in the Scenic City
The Carolina Shag is a slower form of the jitterbug that was popularized in the 1930's and 40's. Shag Tracks welcomes dancers from all across the country to dance, attend workshops, and share their passion for shag dance. The local shag dance club offers weekly meetings along with free lessons for people interested in learning this dance style. For the Shag Tracks event this weekend the kick off party will be at the Best Western in East Ridge. Dances for Friday and Saturday night will be held at the Alhambra Shrine Temple.
Proceeds for Shag Tracks 2012 will benefit the Alhambra Shrine Temple transportation fund to help children and their families travel to the Shriner's Children's Hospital. Other charities that have received support from the Choo Choo Shag Club include the Bethlehem Center of Chattanooga, Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Warner Park Zoo, Amercan Cancer Society Relay for Life, Camp Bluebird, and the Alzheimer Walk for a Cure. There may still be tickets available at the door for Shag Tracks.