Most Active Stories
- CSAS Tops the List of Chattanooga's Grade Schools in 2013 Report
- In A Band? The Chattanooga Music Database Seeks Info
- St. Elmo Holiday Hop Features Food, Art, Open Houses & More 12/14
- Oxford American Examines The Music of Tennessee
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
"Southern Journeys" Stops at the Bessie Smith Cultural Center
By Monessa Guilfoil
Chattanooga, TN – The Bessie Smith Cultural Center is currently exhibiting "Southern Journeys: African American Artists of the South," a traveling collection which will remain in Chattanooga through August 11. This exhibit contains the work of many significant African American Artists works in multiple mediums, ranging from 1941 through 2009.
Carmen Davis, Curator for the BSCC, says this exhibit is on loan from Stella Jones, a doctor with a gallery in New Orleans who has collected these pieces over many years, including ones from famous artists like Elizabeth Catlett, Hughie Lee Smith and Romare Bearden.