Most Active Stories
- Listen: CDE's Mary Poppins - The Musical
- Why Do Most Galaxies Die? It's A Case Of Strangulation, Scientists Say
- NPR's Steve Inskeep Seeks Chattanooga, North GA Photos for 'Jacksonland' Site
- Harriet Tubman Wins Unofficial Contest To Be On $20 Bill
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Let Beauty Awaken
Student-Created Arts Funding Initiative May Soon Be Chattanooga City & Hamilton County Program
Chattanooga has a vibrant, expanding arts community. Painters, writers and musicians have moved here, attracted by the support for the arts from both the city and the community. But that support isn’t widely reflected in city and county middle and high schools.
Two years ago, a group of four high school students decided to do something to help bring arts education back into local schools. They created the Let Beauty Awaken project. Now they are close to graduation and they’re working with Arts Build Chattanooga to formalize their nascent initiative into a permanent city and county-wide program. WUTC's Richard Winham talked to Rodney Van Valkenberg from Arts Build Chattanooga. He is mentoring the four students who came along with him to talk about Let Beauty Awaken and its potential impact.
Arts & Culture