Most Active Stories
- North Korea Claims Missile Launch From Submerged Submarine
- They Speak Hebrew And Keep Kosher: The Left-Behind Ethiopian Jews
- Anna Carll Hopes Her Paintings 'Punch You in the Face'
- UTC Student Robert Fisher is the University's Third Rhodes Scholar
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Team USA's Mikaela Shiffrin Wins Skiing Gold
Originally published on Mon February 24, 2014 6:06 am
She's the youngest ever winner, male or female, of an Olympic slalom gold medal, The Associated Press says. The previous holder of that honor: "Paoletta Magoni of Italy, who won gold at the 1984 Sarajevo Games when she was 19."
Friday's slalom silver medal in Sochi went to Marlies Schild of Austria. Third place, and the bronze medal, went to Kathrin Zettel of Austria.
As NPR's Robert Smith said earlier today on Morning Edition, "when Shiffrin skis the slalom, it's like watching a tango dancer." Her upper body barely moves, while her legs "smoothly shoot out to the side" and around the gates.