Most Active Stories
- Actor Theodore Bikel Dies At Age 91
- 'Mockingbird Next Door' Gives a Rare Glimpse into Harper Lee's Life
- Chattanooga: A 'Great City With a Broken Heart' After Marines Murdered
- Gunman's Motivation Unclear After Shootings At Tennessee Military Sites
- Start It Up Episode 31: Robyn Carlton Focuses Lookout Mountain Conservancy on Community
Teddy Wayne Invents 'Jonny Valentine,' A Tween Idol For Adults
Teddy Wayne's novel The Love Song Of Jonny Valentine is a deft mix of pop-culture criticism and slick literary craft. Jonny, the protagonist/narrator, is a tween singer similar to Justin Bieber, and he's savvy enough to understand he exists solely as a marketing tool. Only eleven years old, his star is already fading. The novel is meant for adults—it’s a scathing satire of the music industry's hype machine. Critics are praising it.
Teddy Wayne spoke with WUTC in advance of his visit to Chattanooga for the Meacham Writers’ Workshop, which starts Wednesday, March 20th.