Most Active Stories
- Listen: CDE's Mary Poppins - The Musical
- NPR's Steve Inskeep Seeks Chattanooga, North GA Photos for 'Jacksonland' Site
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
- Mental Health Awareness Month: At The AIM Center, People Are Members, Not Clients
- South Carolina Distiller Promises To Make Kentucky Liquor Quicker
TVA Prepared For Next Polar Vortex
According to NOAA the record low temperature for January 7th was set this year with 5 degrees. TVA met that with their record high power production on the same day at 703 gigawatts. The unusual weather pattern produced extreme demand to heat homes and businesses across the Tennessee Valley. Upgrades in the transmission system and increased production at TVA power plants helped make sure electricity was available to meet the high demands during this Polar Vortex and according to TVA representative Jim Hopson, they are also prepared for the next.