Most Active Stories
- Bernie Sanders Just Drew A Huge Crowd. How Does It Measure Up?
- How Your Brain Remembers Where You Parked The Car
- 'It's Like Having A Crazy Family Member': On Southern Black Folks And The Rebel Flag
- A 73-Year-Old Man vs Rebel Invaders: The Civil War Story Behind This Historical Marker
- Praised by NPR, Pitchfork & NYT, Torres Will Perform in Chattanooga 7/2
TVA Prepared For Next Polar Vortex
According to NOAA the record low temperature for January 7th was set this year with 5 degrees. TVA met that with their record high power production on the same day at 703 gigawatts. The unusual weather pattern produced extreme demand to heat homes and businesses across the Tennessee Valley. Upgrades in the transmission system and increased production at TVA power plants helped make sure electricity was available to meet the high demands during this Polar Vortex and according to TVA representative Jim Hopson, they are also prepared for the next.