Most Active Stories
- Actor Theodore Bikel Dies At Age 91
- 'Mockingbird Next Door' Gives a Rare Glimpse into Harper Lee's Life
- Chattanooga: A 'Great City With a Broken Heart' After Marines Murdered
- Gunman's Motivation Unclear After Shootings At Tennessee Military Sites
- Start It Up Episode 31: Robyn Carlton Focuses Lookout Mountain Conservancy on Community
TVA Prepared For Next Polar Vortex
According to NOAA the record low temperature for January 7th was set this year with 5 degrees. TVA met that with their record high power production on the same day at 703 gigawatts. The unusual weather pattern produced extreme demand to heat homes and businesses across the Tennessee Valley. Upgrades in the transmission system and increased production at TVA power plants helped make sure electricity was available to meet the high demands during this Polar Vortex and according to TVA representative Jim Hopson, they are also prepared for the next.