Most Active Stories
- In Libya, Gadhafi's Son, Saif Al-Islam, Is Sentenced To Death In Absentia
- Reflections Gallery on Lee Highway is Celebrating The Rural South
- Hillary Clinton Releases 8 Years Of Tax Returns
- First Chattanooga Shooting Victim Is Laid To Rest
- Thousands Line Funeral Procession Route for Petty Officer 2nd Class Randall Smith
Ukraine Extends Cease-Fire With Pro-Russia Separatists
Originally published on Fri June 27, 2014 7:20 pm
The Ukraine government today extended a weeklong cease-fire with pro-Russia separatists for another three days.
The announcement on President Petro Poroshenko's website said that Ukraine forces would stand down for an additional 72 hours, until 10 p.m. Monday.
The Associated Press says:
"The announcement came shortly after Poroshenko returned to Kiev from Brussels where he signed a landmark free trade deal at a European Union summit.
"The cease-fire extension had been undertaken, it said, in line with a deadline set by EU leaders for Ukrainian rebels to agree to cease-fire verification arrangements, return border checkpoints to Kiev authorities and free hostages including detained monitors of the OSCE rights and security watchdog."