Most Active Stories
- Listen: CDE's Mary Poppins - The Musical
- NPR's Steve Inskeep Seeks Chattanooga, North GA Photos for 'Jacksonland' Site
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
- Mental Health Awareness Month: At The AIM Center, People Are Members, Not Clients
- South Carolina Distiller Promises To Make Kentucky Liquor Quicker
Uruguay Soccer Legend Left Off World Cup Guest List
Originally published on Thu June 12, 2014 7:41 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. Alcides Ghiggia didn't get his ticket. Normally, he's invited to the opening match of the World Cup. After all, he's a soccer legend in Uruguay. The 87-year-old is the man who scored the winning goal back in 1950 against Brazil, the last time Brazil hosted the World Cup. Brazilians have never forgotten that painful loss, and somehow, someone forgot to invite Ghiggia to today's opener in Brazil. This is MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.