Most Active Stories
- North Korea Claims Missile Launch From Submerged Submarine
- They Speak Hebrew And Keep Kosher: The Left-Behind Ethiopian Jews
- Anna Carll Hopes Her Paintings 'Punch You in the Face'
- UTC Student Robert Fisher is the University's Third Rhodes Scholar
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Uruguay Soccer Legend Left Off World Cup Guest List
Originally published on Thu June 12, 2014 7:41 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. Alcides Ghiggia didn't get his ticket. Normally, he's invited to the opening match of the World Cup. After all, he's a soccer legend in Uruguay. The 87-year-old is the man who scored the winning goal back in 1950 against Brazil, the last time Brazil hosted the World Cup. Brazilians have never forgotten that painful loss, and somehow, someone forgot to invite Ghiggia to today's opener in Brazil. This is MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.