Most Active Stories
- Janisse Ray’s ‘The Seed Underground’ Explains Startling Loss of Seed Diversity
- Velo Coffee Turns to Kickstarter to Fund New Roaster
- States That Raised Minimum Wage See Faster Job Growth, Report Says
- Supernatural Suspense for Young Shapeshifters in 'Island of Fog' Series
- Book News: A 'Treasure' Of Thrilling Westerns from Tim Champlin
It's Summer, Go Outside
UTC Partners With YMCA To Encourage Outdoor Play
The YMCA and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga are working with families in the Emma Wheeler Homes and Cromwell Hills neighborhoods to develop outdoor activities for families and communities.
Working with the families that live in the area, UTC graduate student Kymberly Gibson and Health and Human Performance teacher Paula Collier are co-designing programs to encourage families to get outside every day for physical activity. Northwestern Mutual Foundation is the primary funder for this project that will facilitate activities from June through August. Activities may include family games, water play, bicycles, and block parties. Donations of gently used bicycles and safety helmets are being accepted at area YMCA facilities for this program.