Most Active Stories
- Actor Theodore Bikel Dies At Age 91
- 'Mockingbird Next Door' Gives a Rare Glimpse into Harper Lee's Life
- Chattanooga: A 'Great City With a Broken Heart' After Marines Murdered
- Gunman's Motivation Unclear After Shootings At Tennessee Military Sites
- Start It Up Episode 31: Robyn Carlton Focuses Lookout Mountain Conservancy on Community
It's Summer, Go Outside
UTC Partners With YMCA To Encourage Outdoor Play
The YMCA and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga are working with families in the Emma Wheeler Homes and Cromwell Hills neighborhoods to develop outdoor activities for families and communities.
Working with the families that live in the area, UTC graduate student Kymberly Gibson and Health and Human Performance teacher Paula Collier are co-designing programs to encourage families to get outside every day for physical activity. Northwestern Mutual Foundation is the primary funder for this project that will facilitate activities from June through August. Activities may include family games, water play, bicycles, and block parties. Donations of gently used bicycles and safety helmets are being accepted at area YMCA facilities for this program.