Most Active Stories
- Actor Theodore Bikel Dies At Age 91
- 'Mockingbird Next Door' Gives a Rare Glimpse into Harper Lee's Life
- Chattanooga: A 'Great City With a Broken Heart' After Marines Murdered
- Gunman's Motivation Unclear After Shootings At Tennessee Military Sites
- Start It Up Episode 31: Robyn Carlton Focuses Lookout Mountain Conservancy on Community
What's the Connection Between Race & Pot Busts?
The ACLU released a study recently, The War On Marijuana In Black And White, which says there’s a disparity in who gets arrested for marijuana—black people are far more likely to be arrested for possessing pot than white people are. However, the study indicates that blacks and whites use marijuana at comparable rates.
In this news feature, WUTC's Michael Edward Miller examines why the disparity might exist. He speaks with one of the study's authors, as well as several criminal justice experts, and Congressman Steve Cohen, who introduced a bill earlier this year to create a National Commission on Federal Marijuana Policy.