Most Active Stories
- Celebration of Southern Literature: Jill McCorkle on 'Life After Life' And Death
- WTCI's 'Underground Revealed' Debuts
- Celebration of Southern Literature: A Chat with 'The Joker' Himself, Andrew Hudgins
- In Rural Virginia, Truckers Can Stop For Coffee And A Physical
- Start It Up Episode 19: Program Propels Young Businesses to Next Level
What's the Connection Between Race & Pot Busts?
The ACLU released a study recently, The War On Marijuana In Black And White, which says there’s a disparity in who gets arrested for marijuana—black people are far more likely to be arrested for possessing pot than white people are. However, the study indicates that blacks and whites use marijuana at comparable rates.
In this news feature, WUTC's Michael Edward Miller examines why the disparity might exist. He speaks with one of the study's authors, as well as several criminal justice experts, and Congressman Steve Cohen, who introduced a bill earlier this year to create a National Commission on Federal Marijuana Policy.