Most Active Stories
- 12/19 - 21, WEAVE's Christmas Dance Show Features Funk, Hip Hop, Ballet & More
- Mach Fuels Converts Cars, Trucks to Gas/CNG Bi-Fuel Systems
- Give a meaningful gift through WUTC
- The Impressions Are Still Singing, Still Recording in their 80's
- The Civil Air Patrol Places Wreaths at Chattanooga National Cemetery
Arts & Culture
What's a cowpea?
Charleston Tennessee is the home of the International Cowpea Festival and Cook-off beginning at 10:00 AM on Saturday, September 15th in Charleston Park.
At one point Charleston TN was the Cowpea capitol of the USA; harvesting black-eyed peas, field peas, crowder peas, southern peas, silver and purple hull peas and cream peas. The harvest festival includes storytelling, music, professional and amateur cooking competitions, and a pageant to crown the Princess and the Cowpea. There is also an Agri-heritage photo contest with categories depicting agricultural life in the Ocoee region. The International Cowpea Festival is free but if you want to taste the creations in the professional cook-off there is a small charge for a tasting spoon. Bring blankets and lawn chairs to Charleston Park in Charleston Tennessee and celebrate the cowpea!