Most Active Stories
- Non-Verbal & Non-Linear, Jill Burton’s Singing Creates Spontaneous Soundscapes
- Choral Arts of Chattanooga Presents 'Wonderful Peace' Holiday Concert 12/13
- 'A Christmas Story, The Musical' Adds New Depth to Beloved Characters
- Give a meaningful gift through WUTC
- UTC recognized by U.S. News and World Report for work with student veterans
'Whitey' Bulger's Girlfriend Sentenced To 8 Years In Prison
The girlfriend of the notorious mob boss James J. 'Whitey' Bulger has been sentenced to 8 years in prison, after pleading guilty to charges of conspiracy to harbor a fugitive.
As we reported last week, the prosecution sought 10 years for Catherine Greig, calling her crimes the "the most extreme case of harboring" the district had ever seen. She help Bulger evade arrest for 16 years. The prosecution claimed that, among other things, she helped him build false walls in his apartment and obtain identities from vulnerable people.
The AP reports that Greig "showed no visible emotion when she was sentenced Tuesday."
Reuters adds that Judge Dougals Woodcock also imposed a $150,000 fine and three years of supervised probation once she's out of prison.