Most Active Stories
- 10 Days of Giveaways During WUTC’s Membership Drive
- Start It Up Episode 18: The Ins and Outs of Managing Employees
- Chris Dortch Previews the Chattanooga Film Festival
- Ron Rash on 'Serena,' 'The World Made Straight' and Knowing When to End a Story
- 'Dorothy Parker Would Not Approve' Is Stacy Chapman's Prize-Winning Debut Play
Why Are Fair-Trade Clothes So Hard to Find in Chattanooga?
Last year, after a garment factory in Bangladesh collapsed, many Americans started thinking about where their clothes are made. Major clothing manufacturers often use the cheapest labor they can find, and some workers in third-world countries toil in sweatshop conditions.
Suppose you wanted to fill your closet with items created by workers who are paid fair-trade wages. Where would you buy them?
As WUTC's Virginia Daniels discovers, few options exist in the Scenic City.