Most Active Stories
- Listener Support Keeps WUTC On The Air. Please Donate Today.
- Ron Rash on 'Serena,' 'The World Made Straight' and Knowing When to End a Story
- Start It Up Episode 7: Teen Startup Thrives and Glass Street Bounces Back
- TN Valley Wild Ones: Planting Milkweed to Save Monarchs
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Why Tax-Free Weekends May Not Be A Good Deal for Tennessee
Tennessee's annual sales tax holiday runs August 2 - 4 this year, and shoppers are expected to save between $8 and $10 million on items like clothing, school supplies and computers. For computer sales in Tennessee, these are even bigger sales days than Black Friday. These weekends are touted as economic boost for Tennessee and tax relief for low-income families, but a nonprofit research group, the Tax Foundation, says these tax holidays may not actually do much for the economy.