Most Active Stories
- In A Band? The Chattanooga Music Database Seeks Info
- Man, Dog Reunited 9 Days After Tornado Flattened Ill. Town
- Compassionate Friends Group Hosts Candlelight Vigil December 8th
- Handmade Goods That Help African Refugees: Amani Chattanooga Distributes Fair-Trade Items
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
The Ultimate In Local Food?
Can A Backyard Feed A Whole Family? Suburban Homesteaders Try
Homesteading dates back to the pioneer days (remember Little House On The Prairie?), when families grew much of their own food on their own land. In the modern version, homesteaders avoid grocery stores by planting backyard gardens and raising pigs, rabbits and other animals for meat. In this segment, WUTC visits Monica and Byron DeLoach, homesteaders who live in North Georgia.
Oscar Hank Will, author of Plowing with Pigs and Other Creative, Low-Budget Homesteading Solutions, also joins in the conversation.
Taste Of Chattanooga