Most Active Stories
- Start It Up Episode 28: Dynepic and Artiphon Shine at 36/86 Conference
- Cleveland Museum Exhibit Explores African & Native American History
- 'It's Like Having A Crazy Family Member': On Southern Black Folks And The Rebel Flag
- Best Job Ever - Deli Owner
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
The Ultimate In Local Food?
Can A Backyard Feed A Whole Family? Suburban Homesteaders Try
Homesteading dates back to the pioneer days (remember Little House On The Prairie?), when families grew much of their own food on their own land. In the modern version, homesteaders avoid grocery stores by planting backyard gardens and raising pigs, rabbits and other animals for meat. In this segment, WUTC visits Monica and Byron DeLoach, homesteaders who live in North Georgia.
Oscar Hank Will, author of Plowing with Pigs and Other Creative, Low-Budget Homesteading Solutions, also joins in the conversation.
Taste Of Chattanooga