Most Active Stories
- Start It Up Episode 28: Dynepic and Artiphon Shine at 36/86 Conference
- Cleveland Museum Exhibit Explores African & Native American History
- 'It's Like Having A Crazy Family Member': On Southern Black Folks And The Rebel Flag
- Best Job Ever - Deli Owner
- Listening to the Lake Sturgeon in the Tennessee River
The Chattanooga Yarn Mafia
By Rabbit Zielke
Chattanooga, TN – Members of the Chattanooga Yarn Mafia are yarnbombers, yarn graffiti artists that have been covering parts of Chattanooga in brightly colored yarns. They are also promoting fiber arts while having a lot of fun. Part of the mission of this unofficial organization is to spread the joy of hand made hats and scarves through charity fiber art projects.
The Queen of Yarnbombing in Chattanooga is Red McCord. According to McCord, to become a member in this secret organization you need to personally know someone that is already involved. The yarn grafitti artists involved with the Chattanooga Yarn Mafia rarely announce where they will be next but you might be able to see their work on Saturday, June 18 in Coolidge Park for World Wide Knit in Public Day.