Most Active Stories
- In A Band? The Chattanooga Music Database Seeks Info
- CSAS Tops the List of Chattanooga's Grade Schools in 2013 Report
- Handmade Goods That Help African Refugees: Amani Chattanooga Distributes Fair-Trade Items
- Paul’s Playlist: In This WUTC Special, Meteorologist Barys Shares Favorite Songs
- St. Elmo Holiday Hop Features Food, Art, Open Houses & More 12/14
Creating Playspace For Everyone
Designing a public play space for everyone regardless of their ability is a challenge.
Chattanooga based PlayCore incorporates 7 principles of inclusive play to determine the best approach to fully accessible playground equipment and play spaces. The principles include:
- Be Fair
- Be Included
- Be Smart
- Be Independent
- Be Safe
- Be Active
- Be Comfortable
PlayCore consults experts in a variety of fields to develop age appropriate elements designed to educate as well as foster imaginative play. The focus for the play spaces is not on the limitations of people but more in the abilities that can be included in active play.
This interview is a companion piece to National Public Radio's Accessibility Project. NPR is collecting information for a national database on accessible public playgrounds. You can access this project at npr.org/playgrounds/.