Most Active Stories
- North Korea Claims Missile Launch From Submerged Submarine
- They Speak Hebrew And Keep Kosher: The Left-Behind Ethiopian Jews
- Anna Carll Hopes Her Paintings 'Punch You in the Face'
- UTC Student Robert Fisher is the University's Third Rhodes Scholar
- Arthur Golden (Finally!) Has A New Novel Coming Out. Here's What He Told WUTC.
Free Lunch for Thursday, September 11th
Chattanooga, TN – Kelly Joe Phelps, a native of Portland OR, has been turning heads with his contemporary blues style.
Raised in Washington state, Phelps learned the folk and country styles from his father. But according to his website, his musical influences were anything but specialized.
"Two of the first records I remember having were Miles Davis and Led Zeppelin," Phelps told the Oregon Extension Journal in 1998. "My dad played guitar, and during that 12th year, I decided I wanted to do that, so he got me started."
Kelly Joe Phelps has opened for artists like B.B. King, Leo Kottke, and Little Feat. And he's been a guest on albums by Greg Brown and Tony Furtado.
His new album "Slingshot Professionals," is a mellow, acoustic-blues album that's a perfect backdrop for the lunch hour.
For more information on Kelly Joe Phelps and his music visit KellyJoePhelps.com